Sunday, November 17, 2013

Research and Exploration Into the Final Project

        Before beginning my final, I extensively researched several art movements I was not familiar with, in hopes of being able to emulate their stylistic elements or messages. I first began researching Cubism, as I felt that it juxtaposed well with the concentric circles that were a recurring theme within my selected chapter of Einstein's Dreams. I thought it would been an interesting challenge to attempt to execute such a round, soft form using sharp, geometric angles and shapes within a digital medium.

"La Femme au Cheval" by Jean Metzinger

"Woman Playing Mandolin" by Pablo Picasso
        However, I further researched Cubism, I came to a disappointing realization that I truly did not understand the execution or creative process of it. I realized that if I tried to emulate this style, it would ultimately fail. After this brief setback, Chris then told me to look into Constructivism, a movement I had not heard of before. Originating in Russia in 1919 and was the "rejection of autonomous art." I really enjoyed the placement of harsh geometric properties against a human subject, with strong, resounding text uniting the piece.



        Despite my growing interest in this movement, I still wasn't sure if this was the look I desired. After researching this art movement further, I stumbled upon art nouveau. Although I had seen this style used by several artists before, I had never extensively looked into it before. I decided that with the soft, undulating curves and circles, this would be the style I wanted to use for my piece.



No comments:

Post a Comment