Monday, November 11, 2013

Turning Our Personal Morals Into Visual Representations

        After extensively researching universal symbols for our personal values, we were then required to create our own. Although our symbols had to be understood by our peers in their universality, they also had to reflect our personal style and artistic voice. Our challenge with our logo then was to be able to create a pattern out of it.
        Instead of the more peaceful, reverent images that I started off with to illustrate filial piety, I elected to chose a more sarcastic, caustic approach in my symbol to represent the experiences I had coping with overbearing expectations of filial piety as a child. My parents were extremely strict and expected me to do well in school no matter what. Using the more widely understood trope of the "tiger" parent, I combined it with hands holding pencils are chopsticks juxtaposed with the word "STUDY." The chopsticks illustrated how even during tasks such as eating, studying was always on my mind because of my parents. Plus it's just an easy symbol for Westerners to understand (lol).



        After finalizing our designs for the patterns, our next challenge was to print the patterns onto wearable textiles. Although we could make the garments ourselves if we desired, I elected to use t-shirts because it would be easier to market to people that were interested.



No comments:

Post a Comment