Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Response to Visual Symposium #1

        On August 30th, the freshman students were able to attend a VS detailing the phenomenon of childish, colorful art found within Japan. Although unfortunately, I was unable to attend, I have read some of my fellow classmates' responses to the VS to get a general idea of the topic matter. I am truly intrigued by what I have read and am astonished that I had not realized the correlation between the tragedies of WWII and the art of Japan today. As a huge fan and follow of Japanese pop culture, I had never realized that the extremely colorful, stylized works of Japanese art would be used as a coping mechanism against the horror the country previously experienced. This creates a whole new depth to the Japanese arts that I greatly admire. As a fan of Japanese art, anime, and manga since I was a young child, the VS really puts things into a historical context for me.
        The second part of the discussion covered the debate of whether or not crafts were considered "art." This made me realize that I had never mused upon this debate before, and that I had no real line of what I considered arts or merely "crafts." The debate caused me to reflect upon my previous definitions of art and how this could adversely affect my interpretations of people and their efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment