Thursday, October 24, 2013

Sketches on Chosen Moral Value

          Earlier last week, we took a little class field trip and were required to sketch a sculpture from the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art. There, I had sketched the sculpture of Guanyin of the Southern Seas, a fired clay sculpture of a Buddhist deity. Over the weekend, we were ask to choose a moral value that was important to us and create 12 sketches of it. I chose filial piety, which is the respect of one's parents and elders. Using this value, I was able to easily tie it in with my sculpture of Guanyin, since filial piety is an aspect of Buddhism.


        After I received some critiques over my pieces, I was told to universalize the sketches I had drawn. Since I didn't expect most westerners to understand the concept of filial piety, I decided to put it into terms that they could understand: Asian stereotypes of strict parents and overly appeasing children of those parents. We were then asked to compose 6 sketches that illustrated what we had learned from the critique.





No comments:

Post a Comment